If you feel that a few twigs and leave in your gutters will do no harm, think again. Cleaning your roof gutters becomes a very important and part of preventing major & expensive repairs. The gutters on your roof perform one very important function- the control the water flow and channel it in the right direction. Take a look at the different things that can go wrong with your gutters and why it is important to maintain them and keep them clean
- Leaking Gutters: Any kind of clog in the gutters becomes the No 1 cause of basement-water problems. When the gutters get clogged, roof-water overflows & accumulates around your house’s foundation. If this occurs, it won’t be long before you notice basement leaks in your house
- Cracked Foundations– If the gutters get clogged, there will be excessive water near the foundation which will weaken the footing and cause cracks in the foundation walls. This is especially true when the weather is colder- the water caused the concrete to contract and cracks appear in the walls of the foundation
- Wood Damage– Water that backs up from clogged gutters causes moisture damage to any wood fascia that you may have around the house. This rotted area will worsen very quickly in case the gutters are not cleaned on a regular basis
- Leaking Roofs– Though Sydney and the surrounding areas do not really experience snowfall; there are times when the Blue Mountains get a smattering of unexpected snowfall. In this case, ice dams may form above clogged gutters. When the snow thaws, water that runs off the roof gets blocked by this frozen snow & backs-up into the house and can cause significant major wall & ceiling damage
- Slippery Sidewalks: If there are any overflowing gutters, water can get deposited on driveways and sidewalks, which is a definite slipping hazard. This problem can be avoided by keeping all the gutters & spouts clean & extended at a distance from traffic areas
- Wood-Destroying Insects: Bugs and other ground insects love moisture and humidity. If you have clogged gutters, it means that more bugs will be attracted to these areas- over time; these insects will also transition into your home
The Smart Solution
As you can see, failing to keep your gutters clean or following a regular maintenance schedule can only mean you risk a lot of damage to your house structure. Standard gutter maintenance is not expensive but ignoring it can lead to significant expenses for you. The best way to avoid all these problems is to hire the services of a roofing company that will handle maintenance and repairs of gutters for you.
They will ensure that seasonal cleaning of all the gutters takes place and that the downspouts etc are clear of debris and leaves and that there is no damage to the installation itself. In the long term, regular maintenance and cleaning of gutters goes a long way in increasing the longevity of your roof and protects your house from water damage.